My first year out of Drama School

My first year out of Drama School! Where will I be in 365 days time?... When will I be living my dream?... Who will give me my 'big break'?... What do I need to do to get noticed?... Why am I putting myself through this?... How am I going to pay the rent?!

Monday 12 July 2010

Day 1) Occupation: Actress!

I actually got to write that on a form today! I felt a small amount of pride when the bank worker read my form back to me to check the details were correct. I guess that word has different reactions from everyone. Some wouldd think 'Ooh, that's really cool.' Some would think 'Oh an ACTRESS dahrling'. Some would think 'Yeah, an ''actress''. Fail' Who knows. But I take great joy in the fact that that is, infact, what I am. At least the fun part.
And- I have possibly found a way to get some money! Thanks to my lovely flatmate, I was put in touch with someone who is looking for people to write book reviews for a website. Hopefully (if her boss doesn't hate me!) I can start that next week and get paid to write from home! I thought this week was going to be a nightmare what with the sudden void that my life has become. But if this works out then I have one less thing to worry about! Rent is expensive. And most jobs pay nothing. So the money has to come from somewhere. And I really don't mind where. But if I can earn my rent from writing and then any singing/acting/teaching can pay for my life then that's fine with me! At least for now. I think I'm giving myself two years. At least that's what I have decided in my head. Two years to get to the point where the majority of my income is coming from performing. Although ask me again in two years and I'll probably tell you four!
I also have an audition tomorrow! And it's not a bad one either- it's from Spotlight so it feels very proper! Although that also means that there'll be lots of very good performers there. Singing has always been my thing, even before I decided to add the acting, so jobs that come up which involve singing are always first on my list of targets. Here's hoping that the fact that I only really learnt one of the songs this afternoon doesn't throw me and I can actually sing to my normal standard. My voice sounds knackered at the moment- my singing lesson this evening was torture. I had to lay down on the floor at the end of a very emotional rendition of 'Climb every mountain'. 4 weeks solid rehearsal for the show last week has wiped me out a bit. Most of the rest of the class have taken a holiday and gone somewhere sunny, but not me. 1) I have no money to do that and 2) I feel like the next 6 weeks are going to be pivotal in getting my career off the ground. There are many things I need to do in order that I can feel completely secure in calling myself a professional, and I want to be at the point by the end of the summer where I am organised (which is an effort for me who never knows whether she's coming or going!) and prepared for anything this industry might throw at me. I have my action plan, and I have my motivation. So many things to do. So little time. But can I do it? Hell yes I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment