My first year out of Drama School

My first year out of Drama School! Where will I be in 365 days time?... When will I be living my dream?... Who will give me my 'big break'?... What do I need to do to get noticed?... Why am I putting myself through this?... How am I going to pay the rent?!

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Day 2) Audition circuit here I come!

So today was my first 'proper' audition. I went and sat in a very small corridor with a lot of other people, who were called in one by one, and when they'd all gone in the guy said 'Sorry, what's your name?' So I told him and he looked at his paper, looked confused, then beckoned me in. Who knows if I was actually on his list or not! But anyway, he seemed to like me, as he asked me to come back at 4 for a callback. Woo! Although, he said he wanted me to sing something else. Something more 'Character' in style. I had nothing with me, so raced to Chappells and bought a book. I had a few things in mind, neither of which I actually knew properly, so I proceeded to spend the next two hours sat in Costa in the corner trying to learn them. I managed to get the notes right, but wasn't set on the words, but when I went back I explained that to him and he seemed OK with me using the sheet as a prompt as I'd only just learnt it. Callbacks consisted of singing a duet with one of the male auditionees (always good in my mind!) and singing him that one new song. After much prodding from him to get me to do it more nasal and 'bronx sounding', I think I managed to make it sound alright. But who knows. I don't really know what they're looking for, and the fact that they called me back obviously meant they thought I was quite good. But out of all the auditionees (all of whom had far more experience than me!) I'm really not sure who they'll pick as we were all very different. Some more operatic, others more rock/belter. Who knows! He took my mobile number at the end and said he'd call me. Which obviously means he's going to call either way, as if he wasn't and it was a no he wouldn't have bothered asking for it! It's on my CV anyway...
But anyway, as a first 'professional' audition I don't think it was too shabby! I just need to find a load more like that one and one day someone will want me! And I was surprised as to how fun it was. I met some random people, who were very willing to talk which was nice. This myth that all actors are horrible people is complete rubbish. All those people were lovely. Obviously to an extent everyone is wishing someone will crack a note or something, but actually I think there was a real sense of cameradery amongst everyone. They all know what it's like, and they are all hoping for exactly the same things. I like actors. I wish I knew more of them.
So all in all, a positive day. I'm liking the way that this week is working out. Even if I end up with no performing jobs, I'll be ahead of most of the rest of my class in audition experience (most of them haven't even started applying for things yet) and have got myself a nice little part time earner on the side.
Life = Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment